The History of
The First Christian Church
of Steubenville, Ohio
When Alexander Campbell began his first Missionary tour from Bethany, Virginia (now West Virginia), he records that his first visit was to the Jefferson County Courthouse on June 16, 1811 and the sermon was delivered on the Courthouse steps. From 1811 to 1826, not much is recorded about those who followed Campbell's teaching, but on July 27, 1826, a small group known as "Christian Church" was incorporated with a nucleus of 26 members.
They met in different homes at first, then for a period in the Baptist Church, until a constitution was drawn up in 1830. The first baptism was of Ebe Huston on May 2, 1824.
Thomas and Alexander Campbell were present for a reorganization meeting in 1841 with a total of 67 members. In 1870 the church purchased the site of the present property and the building was erected in 1897.
A pipe organ, installed in 1914 with financial support from steel magnate and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, is found in the choir loft to the left of the chancel area.
In 1995 a $135,000.00 renovation was undertaken on the building, both inside and out.